USG Report: Counseling Center collaborations

Courtesy of USG

Richard Reyes

Baruch College has followed the directive of CUNY this year and has put a huge emphasis on the return back to campus. This semester in particular, Baruch saw a spike in students attending either in-person and/or hybrid courses.

After almost three years of being solely online, this is a major change for students to get accustomed with. The mental and health effects of the pandemic is a concern that everyone can attest to.

Baruch’s Undergraduate Student Government is committed to a year-long partnership with the Counseling Center.

USG Secretary Yam-Yu Li spearheaded this under her previous role to connect all departments and facilities with USG.

Michele Liang, a USG representative senator, serves as a liaison with the center. Her role is the bridge connecting USG with the center in helping amplify events, services and providing volunteers.

Some of the events that USG has helped and co-sponsored include, “Let’s Talk About It: Re-Joining the World.”

This spring semester USG is bringing back these events because of great reception.

On March 8, USG will be co-sponsoring another “Depression Screening” from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the Clivner Field Plaza.

Additionally, USG is continuing the “Let’s Talk About It” series. The topic for this event will be “Caring Conversations: Starting conversations about suicide prevention. It will answers questions like: What are the signs to look for in friends and others to prevent suicide? How can we have conversations with our friends to help them?”

This event will be March 9, from 5:45 p.m. to 7 p.m. via Zoom. More information about these events can be found on Instagram @usgbaruch.

The Counseling Center provides a plethora of services that include but are not limited to counseling services, group counseling and workshops. All appointments made with the center are free and confidential to Baruch College students.

To make an appointment, visit their website here, and to access the direct appointment link, click here. The Counseling Center is here for any and all needs that Baruch students may have.

With the ongoing issues happening around the world, USG extends their deepest condolences to those affected either personally or secondarily. Please feel free to speak to someone if needed at the Counseling Center.