Senate Meeting: USG discusses closed club suite

USG

USG

Edgar Llivisupa, Sports Editor

Baruch College’s Undergraduate Student Government met for its third Senate meeting of the spring 2022 semester on Feb. 22.

Assistant Director of Leadership Development, Dinetta Curtis, shared that club suites are closed for spring 2022, partly to protect property as several keys weren’t returned. In addition, a barricade is in place at one of the entrances since the pathway is an emergency exit and the door can’t be locked.

USG mentioned students struggle to find study or dining spaces. This problem is exacerbated by the increase of in-person instruction. In the fall 2021 semester, the club suites were available as study rooms.

The suites were closed after the reservation system for the Aaronson Student Center was removed to allow easier access along with extended hours, Curtis added.

Executive Vice President, Richard Reyes, shared that few students utilized the sixth- floor computer labs at the Newman Library, encouraging them to visit.

Student, Christopher Bivona-Maldonado, asked when club life would return like other CUNY campuses. Curtis said additional space at Queens College and Hunter College allowed for the return of club activities.

She also shared plans to reopen the suites in the fall 2022 semester after the rooms are disinfected and cleaned.

Students are encouraged to message their concerns to studentlife@baruch.cuny.edu. All the complaints are being collected in writing, as Student Life was threatened with a lawsuit.

Vice President of Campus Affairs, Erika Cumbe, presented campus construction and technology updates.

Library building door replacement continues. More seating spaces will be installed on the second floor where the standing computer and printing spaces stood starting next month.

The fourth floor, which is closed due to construction, will open as soon as it clears inspection. New collapsible bookshelves and the removal of old bookshelves will provide spacing for additional seating.

The library also had technology updates. Library scanners will also be accessible. With regard to tech loans, only Chromebooks and iPads are available as all hotspots and

Dell laptop are currently loaned out. The computers for the Tech Loan Kiosk are being replaced for newer models.

In the Lawrence and Eris Field Building, two computer labs are closed due to the discontinuation of the Continuing and Professional Studies program. However, they will be repurposed for student use.

There are also discussions to place printers on the ninth and 11th floors. However, the lobby wasn’t considered viable due to foot traffic.

Representative Sen. Larry Gomez presented a final budget of $27,625.06 for USG to allocate for the fitness center. The budget passed unanimously.

Representative Sen. Michele Liang announced events for Mental Health Awareness Week on March 7-11. Events include information sessions on Counseling Center services and how to discuss mental health with others.

Chair of Arts, Leslie Acuapina, publicized her “Women in Arts” event will take place on March 15. This event will feature four female panelists.

The Philanthropy Committee revealed a contest where Baruch staff, students and faculty can submit pet photos in various categories. Jason Galak, the chair, announced that all participants will be required to donate to a local animal shelter or rescue. The specific charity the proceeds will be given to will be announced at a later date.

Karina Chiqui, the vice president of Legislative Affairs announced a women in politics event on to be held on March 31. This event will be held in the multipurpose room.

Finally, the chair of Clubs and Organizations, Snigdha Sarker announced that “The Bernies” will return to honor club events in April.