CUNY launches finance fellowship with BNP Paribas

BNP+Paribas

Reinhardhauke | Wikimedia Commons

May Khin

CUNY launched a new finance fellowship program in a partnership with the BNP Paribas S.A., a European financial institution, to offer opportunities to advance careers in finance.

BNP Paribas is the European Union’s leading bank in international banking, where it operates in 68 countries with more than 193,000 employees.

It is known as a key player in international banking since it reaches out to Asian-Pacific and Mediterranean countries to help clients through solutions related to financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.

The BNP Paribas Global Finance Fellowship features monthly workshops and one-on-one mentoring for students from the bank’s professionals.

The fellowship would help CUNY students in finding an internship and building a network to start a career in finance.

The purpose of the mentorship is to offer hands-on experience and one-on-one mentoring to improve professional and personal growth for participants.

“BNP Paribas is pleased to partner with CUNY to launch The BNP Paribas Global Finance Fellowship,” José Placido, CEO of CIB Americas for BNP Paribas said in a press release. “We are proud to support the local New York community by helping bright and diverse students to advance professionally.”

Students can submit their applications to CUNY administrators with specific areas of interests and qualifications, but a joint BNP Paribas-CUNY panel will evaluate applications, awarding 22 fellowships.

Students who are selected in the fellowship will be regularly evaluated on their progress. They will have an opportunity to consult with college counselors and bank representatives throughout the fellowship.

All students who are attending a four-year college program are eligible to apply for the program, including those who are in the graduating class of 2024.

All majors are accepted and students who would like to secure a summer 2023 internship in the investment banking, global markets, technology, operations and risk departments are highly encouraged to apply for this program.

The fellowship is looking for students with strong analytical, synthesis and communication skills and quick learners who are detail-oriented, ambitious and enthusiastic to learn and create innovative ideas through the program.

BNP Paribas believes that developing early talent is the future and encourages sharing and collaborating with the local community.

“BNP Paribas is thrilled to launch this initiative. Mentoring 22 deserving students provides them the tools to develop a lasting career in finance, while fostering an environment of diversity, knowledge, and collaboration,” Chief Compliance Officer for BNP Paribas Americas Emmanuelle Bury said in the press release. “We look forward to welcoming the inaugural class in 2022.”

With approximately 4,000 employees in New York, this is one of the many initiatives BNP Paribas has committed to contributing and collaborating with the local community.

“The City University of New York is always looking for new, innovative ways and willing partners in the private sector to level the playing field in favor of our hard-working students and help them gain the in-demand skills and real-world professional experience that the job market requires,” CUNY Chancellor Félix V. Matos Rodríguez said.

“These new fellowships created in conjunction with BNP Paribas, will do just that, while also allowing CUNY students an opportunity to create their own personal and professional networks, upon which they will build their future success.