The Vagina Monologues educates on female sexuality and struggles

exc-5ca2424b93088700015bdb71
exc-5ca2424b93088700015bdb71

Baruch College’s PAWS held their annual production of The Vagina Monologues to celebrate Women’s History Month by exploring various topics through the eyes of women of many ages, races and sexualities on March 25.

The Vagina Monologues is an episodic play by Eve Ensler in 1996. Female Baruch students auditioned for parts in the school’s take of the play.

It was hosted by the Office of Health and Wellness Center and all the donations went to Planned Parenthood.

The show started off with a video of Planned Parenthood and the impact it’s making for women and, under this political climate, the video showed how defunding this organization will affect the people it serves.

Salma El Nazer performed the opening piece titled “Hair,” which as the title implied, was a celebration of hair.

Nazer’s performance was followed by some harsh language and truths about how people tend to avoid calling a vagina what it is — a vagina — as there is a negative connotation associated with the word.

The following monologue raised awareness for cervical cancer. In 2019, about 13,170 new cases of invasive cervical cancer will be diagnosed and about 4,250 women will die from cervical cancer. This monologue depicted a woman’s experience with cervical cancer.

The next monologue was called “The Vagina Workshop” and explored the anatomy of the genitals and how women learn more about their value when they learn about their vagina.

The following monologue raised awareness for abuse and violence against transgender individuals. It was called “They Beat the Girl Out of My Boy.”

There was another monologue that celebrated bodies and sex with the right partner, titled “Because He Liked To Look At It.”

One of the key points of this monologue was highlighting the bravery that it takes to open yourself to a new partner, and how rewarding it can be when a significant other opens up back at you.

The following monologue dealt with genital mutilation. A standout quote said during the monologue was, “My vagina is angry, furious and it needs to talk to you.”

“My Vagina Was My Village” came after, highlighting rape during the Bosnian War, during which Bosniak women were among the largest targeted group.

The Bosnian Serb forces used genocidal rape as an instrument of terror as part of their program of ethnic cleansing.

Estimates of the number of women raped during the war range between 12,000 and 50,000. One in five women will be raped at some point in their lives, while one in 71 men will be raped during their lives.

About 51 percent of female victims of rape reported being raped by an intimate partner and 40.8 percent by an acquaintance. About 52 percent of male victims report being raped by an acquaintance and a little more than 15 percent by a stranger.

“My Short Skirt” discussed how fashion plays a role in sexual assaults and sought to raise awareness of rape culture and sexual harassment.

“The Little Coochie Snorcher That Could” depicted genital injuries and sexual violence against a child. One in four girls and one in six boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18 years old.

The second-to-last monologue reclaimed the word “cunt” since the word is often used as a derogatory term.

The final monologues celebrated sexuality and the importance of the vagina — both biologically and metaphorically.

Nazer came back on stage again to read about the V-day Spotlight Campaign — a campaign centered on women in prison and detention centers and formerly incarcerated women.

Junior Khaliya McCall, who performed in the monologues, said a lot of her family members have been victims of sexual assaults so she is glad that this topic is being discussed and is getting more attention.

“It was something close to my heart and we need to shed a light on things like this, especially in the time that we live in now,” said McCall.

“Women are the backbone to every society, culture, human race and we don’t get enough recognition and it is up to us to stick up for one another. It is time for us to get the support we deserve.”