Baruch ranks No. 1 for industrial-organizational psychology

Amanda Salazar, Editor-in-Chief

Baruch College’s industrial-organizational psychology Bachelor of Business Administration program ranked as No. 1 in the United States on the Organizational Psychology Degrees website.

“The BBA in industrial/organizational psychology can open up career opportunities in a wide range of sectors, including government, market research, human resource management, and sales,” the Baruch press release said about the rankings. “Additionally, the degree can serve as a launch pad for advanced studies to obtain a master’s degree or PhD.”

Industrial-organizational psychology is a specialized field that uses tactics from other forms of psychology to look at people in a workplace, accessing how they interact with coworkers and supervisors along with ways to increase productivity.

At Baruch, both the Zicklin School of Business and Weissman School of Arts and Sciences offer psychology majors. Zicklin offers the industrial-organization major while Weissman offers the general psychology major.

Organizational Psychology Degrees’ ranking of the universities was based on tuition costs, student to professor ratio and graduation rate. Schools earned more points the lower their tuition is, the smaller their class sizes are and the higher their graduation rates are.

Schools whose tuition is less than $10,000 per year earned five points, while schools with tuition greater than $25,001 earned one point. A student-to-professor ratio of 10-to-1 or less earned five points, while a student-to-professor ratio of 15-to-1 or more earned one point.

The last standard was graduation rate, with any school that had a 50% or above graduation rate receiving three points and schools with a 49% or lower graduation rate receiving no points.

Organizational Psychology Degrees used school data from the National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator to put together its list.

“We determined that the top programs held regional accreditation, were taught by expert faculty, and offered courses specifically in I/O psychology consistent with the demands of the industry,” the introduction of the top 10 list reads in part. “We then applied our ranking methodology to narrow our list further to the top 10 bachelor’s in I/O psychology.”

With its $3,897 net tuition, 73% graduation rate and 20-to-1 student-to-teacher ratio, Baruch was named the best school for a degree in industrial-organizational psychology. It racked up nine points, tying it with the other top five schools. The lowest number of points that any school on the list received was eight.

“The Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College features our top bachelor’s in industrial/organizational psychology,” the ranking reads in part. “This BBA program can serve as a terminal degree or as a launchpad for continued study. Students take courses in all areas of psychology while emphasizing I/O psychology.”