A non-football fan’s commentary on the Super Bowl

Bernard Gagnon | Wikimedia Commons

Playing football, let alone watching it, is something I just don’t understand the hype for. Yet, when the Super Bowl rolls around annually, millions of people tune in to watch.

The teams this year were the Kansas City Chiefs and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, both of which I had never heard of before.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, only 25,000 audience members were allowed to be at the Raymond James Stadium this year.

At a first glance, the stadium looks filled to capacity. Then I realized that it’s actually filled with cardboard cutouts!

Nine minutes into the game, some player named Frank Clark was penalized for tackling another player. I’ll never understand why they keep tackling each other. At this point, I’m certain that players are just doing it for the attention.

Kansas City scored the first points of the game. At that point, I was convinced the Chiefs would win, so I started rooting for them.

As the game continued, there were more tackles and many, many more yellow flags.

“What did I do?” Player 21 said after he was flagged down. “Don’t worry buddy, I’m just as confused as you are,” I thought to myself.

Now, at this point, the commentators kept talking about Tom Brady. I assumed since he’s been in a lot of Super Bowls that he must be a good player.

Near the end of first quarter, the commentators were worried that Brady’s team might not score a touchdown. They went on to say that throughout his career, Brady had never scored a first-quarter touchdown while playing in the Super Bowl. Then, all of a sudden, despite not having known that fact before, I became interested in the possibility of witnessing an unprecedented event. Then it happened, the Buccaneers managed to score a touchdown in the first quarter.

After this, the NFL aired a commercial stating that they’re donating $250 million to ending racism. That caught my attention because of the controversy that surrounded players like Colin Kapernick when he and many others took a knee during the playing of the national anthem before the start of the game as a way to protest against police brutality four years ago.

When the game came back from commercial, I noticed many players with the letters “BLM” written on the back of their helmets. This was the only part of the entire Super Bowl that made sense to me because it was the only thing I understood and resonated with.

Once the score of the game was 28-9, all I was thinking was “Pack it up, Kansas City. Time to go home. There isn’t any way for you to come back from all these points.” Yet, I still stuck around for the remaining half hour of the game.

Once the game was over, one of the first thoughts that came to my mind was “I should’ve known that a team that plays in their home state would be the ones to win.”

Surprisingly enough, the Buccaneers made history as the first team to play in their home stadium and win. I guess I did witness an unprecedented event after all.