New York companies incentivize employees to vote

Clare Sharkey | The Ticker

In a country as politically divided as the United States currently is, many Americans feel their opinions and beliefs aren’t welcomed. Ironically, the term “politically correct” involves not sharing one’s political views in an effort to remain neutral and prevent creating tensions.

A key element of the year’s events was the spur in social unrest seen throughout the United States, with New York City being a hotspot for the coronavirus. With the anticipated aftermath of the 2020 presidential election, first-floor businesses throughout the city have boarded up their doors and windows as a proactive measure to the anticipated post-election riots.

In an effort to promote democracy and demonstrate support for employees and patron’s political rights and voices, corporate America is providing employees with an array of incentives to encourage voting on Nov. 3.

After many major corporations were called out earlier this year during the Black Lives Matter movement for their lack of progressive action in regard to the need to diversity by their employees, the then upcoming election had motivated companies to encourage and enable a functioning civil society.

In addition to upholding their commitment to Section 3-110 of the New York State Election Law, which requires New York State employees to be given two hours of paid time off to vote, companies in the state and across the country are offering various perks and bonuses such as discounts, free goods and services to their employees.

Goldman Sachs has promised its employees a paid, half-day off from work in order to cast their ballots, according to Reuters. Companies such as GAP and Citi are providing their employees with voter-education resources in order to better their understanding of the complicated inner workings of politics.

Old Navy has taken its employees voting incentives one step further by encouraging its workers to participate in the voting process as poll workers. In addition to the pay that they would receive from the county election commissions, the retail company has promised to compensate participating employees with their hourly Old Navy rate.

With all of the efforts taken to encourage voting among employed voters, businesses are also offering various rewards to promote voting to the public as a whole. From Shake Shack offering free French fries to early voters to major ride-sharing enterprises, such as Uber and Lyft providing discounted transportation to riders who are on their way going to and coming from polling stations.

This year’s voting process is being facilitated by brands and businesses all around the country.