Katarzyna Borkowska’s Farewell Message as The Ticker’s Business Manager

Courtesy of Katarzyna Borkowska

I want to start off by saying thank you to each and every one of you. In some way, big or small, every member of The Ticker has had an impact on my life and my Baruch experience. The Ticker is a family. We don’t always get along, but at the end of the day, we come together and make it work. I will never forget my time with the paper or the people I met here. I hold you all dearly in my heart.

I joined The Ticker as a sophomore, and only did it because I had two friends already there. It reduced the pressure of having to intensely socialize, but also introduced me to new people. Since then, a lot has changed for me and for The Ticker. During my time, the paper went through three different sets of leaders and each of those people left a mark on me and helped me become a good leader and model in my last year with the paper.

During my first year, I stayed in the background a lot. I was a Zicklin major in a journalistic institution. I learned to copy edit and did my part, but that was never my calling. It wasn’t the legacy I wanted to leave behind. However, every institution has a business side, and The Ticker is no exception.

I took my passion and ran for the Business Manager position, and that was the role I filled during my senior year at Baruch. I loved what I was doing and wanted to help the media and journalism expansion from the business side of things. I was able to accomplish a good part of my goals before The Ticker’s production went fully remote, but I have confidence my successor will finish what I started and continue to make it even better.

Leadership is a word that is often tossed around but living as a leader is more than just being in a position of power. The position helps, but anyone can be a leader – it’s about the actions you take as an individual and the differences that you make for others.

To the next Ticker generation: all of you can be leaders. All of you have potential for greatness. All of you can make a difference.

We are living in a historical time period. What we do and the decisions we make will affect not only our future, but the future of the generations to come.

The Ticker may seem small in the grand scheme of things, but it is still a newspaper. Your voices matter and what you publish matters. The Ticker has reported on serious issues throughout its existence and it will continue to do so. Your jobs will be to provide that information and make it accessible for all. The press has been under attack for a while now but maintaining integrity and continuing to push forward is more important now than ever.

I have full faith in all of you and in the generations to come that you will help train and lead.

Thank you for all the memories and experiences.