Baruch students protest for change across the city in the wake of the George Floyd killing

Courtesy of Gabriela Lopez-Castillo

Amanda Salazar, Editor-in-Chief

He also touched on CUNY’s performance during the movement and its relationship to its black students.

“CUNY has to do more, New York City has to do more,” he said. “Especially that CUNY keeps raising its fees. Now, I think that that the Board of Trustees is about to put like $320 more toward tuition, so they keep raising and what happens is that you will have those people from the black community — black and brown people — they will not be able to afford it, because when you keep raising the price of CUNY, they will drop out, because they will have to decide between paying for college, paying for rent, paying for the Metro . . . So, I believe CUNY can do more, Baruch especially can do more.”

Another Baruch protester, Tiana Ruiz, said that she also feels there is progress to be made within both CUNY and Baruch on the topics of race and discrimination.

“Being in CUNY has shown me that even attending one of the most diverse campuses in America doesn’t automatically mean racism doesn’t exist,” she told The Ticker in an email interview. “I’ll never forget in 2017 when a white female Baruch student made a snapchat mocking the ‘I Can’t Breathe’ slogan.”

“I see a lot of Baruch students who I personally know not speaking on this issue which makes me come to believe no matter the amount of diversity around you, people will choose to ignore and keep their own beliefs,” she went on to say. “It’s a really big shame.”

CUNY’s diverse makeup isn’t the only fact worth bringing up about the university, Lopez-Castillo pointed out.

“As a CUNY student, I am not a stranger to our students raising their voices against the powers that be, and it is amazing that we are able to do so,” she noted. “CUNY thrives (though not as much as it could be because of obscene slashes to several schools’ budgets throughout the system, while the NYPD receives billions.), not just because of what it offers, but because of the students that are welcomed through their doors. These students come from all walks of life, communities, ethnicities and races, including the black community.”

For her, it goes beyond that.

“As a CUNY student, I want to march for a better system overall for my fellow students,” Lopez-Castillo continued. “In an ideal world, a college student should only be worrying about finals, and passing that one hard class. But in this world, our justice system has created a society in which our black students have to worry about their lives being ended at the hands of an officer that should have protected them.”

“I do not want this world for any student, but most especially, our black students,” she added. “I march with the Black Lives Matter for them. For every member of our black community.”