CUNY School of Medicine’s first “Match Day” held remotely

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons (Ajay Suresh)

Angelica Tejada, Opinions Editor

This year held a special meaning since it was the medical school’s first “Match Day,” which is the day that students at medical schools across the United States find out where they will continue their training.

An invite was sent to all 44 students in the CSOM program to join the “Match Day” event set only a few minutes before noon, which was the time the students would find out which hospital-based residency program they were matched to.

The entire medical school’s first class got matched to a residency program and 78% of the class were accepted at hospitals in the New York City area, which they will begin after their medical school graduation in May.

It was also a special day for the small body of students since they have been together through the seven-year BS/MD program from when they were accepted as high school graduates. Official college leaders got to congratulate the students through the video conference.

“These students carry with them into their esteemed professions the skills and training that also affirm our College’s foundational commitment to society whereby all its members are entitled to a healthy future regardless of social or economic status,” said City College President Vincent Boudreau.

The medical school’s mission addresses the lack of diversity among primary care physicians across the country. CCNY and CUNY developed the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, which offers physician and physician’s assistant training programs.

Founded in 1973, the program “continues its original mission to recruit underrepresented populations into medicine, increased medical services in underserved areas and increased the availability of primary care physicians and physician assistants that reflect the diversity of our surrounding communities,” as stated on the CSOM website.

Not only does the medical school focus on training a diverse body of students but it also executes those abilities toward helping underserved communities.

“Today is a rite of passage for our students who are now onto the next phase of their careers,” said CSOM Interim Dean Erica Freidman. “We have prepared them for a rewarding future as community-oriented, mission-driven healers, concerned with the health and welfare of their patients and communities, and committed to social justice and health equity.”

Regardless of the new circumstances now faced by all CUNY schools, events like “Match Day” still have the opportunity to take place and be special to all involved.