Elizabeth Warren’s vision remains an inspiration to American, despite her dropping out of the 2020 presidential election

Angelica Tejada, Opinions Editor

Sen. Elizabeth Warren dropped out of the 2020 presidential race on March 5 following a major loss on Super Tuesday. Warren’s decision has caused a somber sentiment to arise as she was the last major female candidate in the race.

“One of the hardest parts of this is all those big promises and all those little girls who are going to have to wait four more years,” Warren outside of her home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, according to NBC News.

Last fall, Warren was briefly considered to be a front-runner in the Democratic race. Yet, her high efforts did not last long enough to stay in the race.

Warren’s plans from the beginning of her campaign included building a grassroots movement by fighting corruption and uplifting American society by making structural change.

“Though her vision energized many liberals — the unlikely chant of ‘“big, structural change’” rang out at her rallies — it did not find a wide enough audience among the party’s working-class and diverse base,” The New York Times reported.

Super Tuesday, the day that the most states host primaries and the highest number of convention delegates is given out, weighed on the few remaining Democratic presidential candidates. The results were expected to reshape the race following the campaign suspensions of Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and former South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg a couple of days prior to the massive primary day.

The results were cruel for Warren; she “did not win a single state Tuesday and finished an embarrassing third in her home state, Massachusetts,” The Associated Press reported after all of the results were tallied.

Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg also dropped out of the race shortly after a poor Super Tuesday performance, and Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard followed suit on March 19. Still running the race on the Democratic side is former Vice President Joe Biden and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, although Biden has grown a sizable delegate lead over Sanders after Super Tuesday and subsequent March primaries.

An endorsement from Warren would impact voters’ decisions, especially if she endorsed Sanders, who is a candidate that carries similar progressive plans as to the ones she had during her campaign run.

“Without her, the progressive movement would not be nearly as strong as it is today. I know that she’ll stay in this fight and we are grateful that she will,” Sanders tweeted the day Warren announced she was dropping out.

Aside from the Massachusetts senator dropping out, her persistence and drive to place power into the hand of the American people could be seen from afar.

Warren, along with her colleagues in the Senate, has been working hard to pass policies aimed at combatting the negative economic and health effects of the current coronavirus. Her website lists the scope of the coronavirus, what has already been done, and what next steps should be taken, such as increasing coronavirus testing capacities, providing resources to hospitals, increasing Social Security benefit check amounts, and have broad cancellations of student loan debt, just to name a few.

It’s also hard to forget Warren’s arguments against Bloomberg, during the ninth Democratic debate in Las Vegas, which was also the first Democratic debate the former mayor was participating in.

NBC News anchor Lester Holt opened up the question of whether the candidates have what it takes to win against President Donald Trump. Warren spoke about Bloomberg in her response.

“Democrats are not going to win if we have a nominee who has a history of hiding his tax returns, of harassing women, and of supporting racist polls like redlining and stop and frisk,” Warren said on stage. “Look, I’ll support whoever the Democratic nominee is. But understand this: Democrats take a huge risk if we just substitute one arrogant billionaire for another.”

Warren’s power, while not impacting every voter, still inspired many, and she connected her own experiences to others across the country.

“What we have done — and the ideas we have launched into the world, the way we have fought this fight, the relationships we have built — will carry through, carry through for the rest of this election, and the one after that, and the one after that,” Warren said in a call with her campaign staff.

This will not be the end for Warren. The mark she left on America with her presidential campaign has opened up new conversations surrounding her plans and the state of this heated presidential race. She will be remembered as a fighter.