Tame Impala mellows out on The Slow Rush with mixed results

Rachel Mirakova | The Ticker

The production found on the record is so clean while having groovy R&B influenced melodies along with the signature Parker falsetto that emulates the raw emotion reflected in the lyrics of Currents.

On Parker’s new project, The Slow Rush, he abandons the sounds that he was experimenting with on Currents and instead fully embraces the pop sound. 

Instead of finding heavy guitar licks, listeners are instead blasted with crispy drums, dreamy reverb and loud keyboards. 

The singles leading up to the album’s release offered fans insight of what they could expect. 

The single “Borderline” encapsulates the instrumentation found throughout the record but also demonstrates the themes found throughout the album’s lyrics.

The other single released for the album, “It Might Be Time,” shines due to the production on the track. Parker’s voice is the nucleus of the entire track however it’s the slow yet fast pace of the song led by the drums and distortion in the background that ties it all together. 

Another track that shines in its production is “Posthumous Forgiveness.” 

The track has a slow and psychedelic intro that quickly turns into a loud synthesizer climax that sounds like it could’ve been released by someone like Kanye West.

However, another strong trait are the lyrics of the song. Parker has discussed topics like loneliness and heartbreak. 

It’s this emotional vulnerability that Parker constantly portrays in his songs that make his music resonate with listeners. 

In this case, as Parker talks about his late father, he connects it to how his life now revolves around music which was an important hobby that he and his father bonded over. 

The last leg of the song is a beautiful plea for the times he never got to spend with his father, making the track an absolute highlight on the album.

In the way that “The Less I Know The Better” was everyone’s favorite song from Currents, “Tomorrow’s Dust” will most likely end up being everyone’s favorite song from this new project. 

The subtle guitar riff on the track immediately grabs the listener’s attention and as the song keeps adding different layers, it only becomes better and better. It is the placement in the track list that makes it the perfect transition to the second half of the album. 

The song “Breathe Deeper” sounds like the chorus to an early 2000s rap song. It works because Parker makes it come all together with his excellent production. 

It just sounds so silky smooth yet so tight at the same time. Parker’s falsetto on this song in particular, really embodies the vibes of The Slow Rush

Parker manages to keep the listener engaged throughout the entire album however it is not perfect. 

After coming off an incredible high point on the album, “It Might Be Time,” the album dips into the interlude “Glimmer” which is a two-minute disco instrumental that just sticks out like a sore thumb and just seems unnecessary. 

The final track of the album “One More Hour,” which runs at seven minutes, tries to tie the themes of the album all together, however, it ends up being a pretty weak ending to a very enjoyable album.

The album definitely benefits from multiple listens. The project is densely layered and each track has something to offer that may not have been noticed from the first listen. 

The lyrics also deserve their own attention since there is also a lot of substance there as well.

At the beginning of the 2010s, rock music was coming off the indie-rock, garage rock revival scene that was dominated by bands like The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, The White Stripes and Interpol. 

By the end of 2000s, most of the music groups were on hiatus, leaving the door open for a new music scene to take over where these bands left off. 

Instead of New York, it was Australia that saw the rise of many rock artists. 

The group that has clearly had the biggest impact from this lost music scene, Tame Impala, is still having their legacy written by Parker who still looks like he has a lot left to say.