Dr. S. David Wu named next president of Baruch

Courtesy of CUNY

Amanda Salazar, Editor-in-Chief

“It is a privilege to join this remarkable community and I am both honored and humbled,” Wu was quoted as saying in a CUNY press release.

“Baruch is one of the most impressive institutions I have encountered in my academic career. The combination of achieving academic excellence at the highest level, while being the most effective agent for social mobility not only makes Baruch a prime example for the founding vision for the CUNY system, but makes Baruch a model for public higher education.”

A video message from Wu was sent out to Baruch students through email on Feb. 6, greeting the school community and expressing his excitement to start in July.

Wallerstein reached out to Baruch students after the news broke through email and gave comment on his successor.

“In selecting Dr. Wu to be the next president, I believe that Chancellor Matos Rodríguez and the presidential search committee have ensured Baruch’s continued national prominence in educational excellence, access, and social mobility,” Wallerstein wrote in an email blast to students.

Members of the Board of Trustees seem pleased with their choice, including the chair.

“Dr. Wu is a proven academic leader with an impressive record of achievements,” Board of Trustees Chairperson William Thompson Jr. said. “His dedication to academic excellence will serve Baruch College and CUNY well. We look forward to the ideas and energy he will bring to the important work of securing Baruch’s continued standing as one of the preeminent institutions of public higher education in the United States.”

The university system’s chancellor also shared his excitement with the decision.

“Dr. Wu brings an impressive record of academic leadership and vision to the university,” Matos Rodríguez said in the press release.

“Baruch will benefit tremendously from his skills, energy and insights. We could not be happier that Dr. Wu has chosen to join the CUNY community, or prouder of the historical significance of his appointment.”