USG hosts large rally at Baruch opposing recent tuition hike

Amanda Salazar | The Ticker

“Some people may think, why are we talking about tuition hikes? I get TAP, I get Excelsior, I get Pell. I don’t have anything to do with those things. However, you are all wrong. Tuition hikes affect all of us,” Hunter said. 

Hunter explained that schools that have more students utilizing the Tuition Assistance Program get the short end of the stick when it comes to state funding. 

Since TAP doesn’t always cover the full tuition, it leaves it on the colleges to supplement and fill in that gap.

He also talked about how City Tech’s library now closes at 8 p.m. 

“I’m tired of cutting class to come to protest. I’m tired of cutting class to lobby elects. I’m tired of cutting class to talk to my class president about library hours,” he said. 

Hunter, as the chairperson, is the only student on the Board of Trustees and spoke with The Ticker about the Dec. 16 meeting in which the board voted to approve the proposed tuition and fees hike.

He was the only Trustee to vote against the hikes and he proposed two alternatives to the hikes.

“It comes with the territory. We’re well aware of the fact that, you know, the students are always at a disadvantage when it comes to these things,” he said. 

“Being the only student on the Board of Trustees is a privilege, just to be able to serve the students in this opportunity and in this capacity, but at the same time, the students are constantly being disenfranchised because of our elected officials.”

View Comments (1)