The Bearcat legacy — what we learned from Bryant’s impact

Kobe Bryant’s death was a tragic event, having an effect on not only the basketball community, but the entire country and beyond. His fame started with the NBA, but since then, Bryant as an individual continued to progress and grow as a human outside the NBA. And with his retirement in 2016, his legacy did not stop. 

Wanting to leave behind a legacy is something that everyone should think about, especially CUNY students. 

Many students within the CUNY system are immigrants, or children of immigrants. Their families do not have legacies as of yet in the United States. This can all change starting now. Students need to focus on what they want in life, and go after their dreams rather than just their goals

The term legacy can be broad. A legacy for an author might be to leave behind a work of art that impacts people and really makes them think. A legacy for a teacher can be to change one student’s life for the better. A CEO might want to donate money to a school and leave behind a building named after them. Everyone’s legacy is different, but all those legacies are attainable by CUNY students. The CUNY system has 11 senior colleges, seven community colleges and seven graduate, honors and professional schools. The schools and the students within them are extremely diverse. 

Everyone has their own goals and ambitions. Leaving a legacy behind does not have to be something earth-shattering, and can be as simple as coming back as an alumnus to mentor the next generation of students.

The legacy a person leaves behind can go far beyond school. Notable CUNY attendees include Bernie Sanders, Jennifer Lopez, Adam Neumann and Vin Diesel. These people have left huge marks on the world, through acting, singing and beyond. CUNY students are often viewed as the underdogs, especially competing against other NYC schools like Columbia and NYU, but CUNY students have drive and motivation — something that shatters these comparisons and breaks limits.