Don’t ‘dub’ the club — Baruch’s club process worth it in the end

For many college students, a fulfilling college experience is not complete without some soul-searching and meaningful interaction with other individuals. Students involved in campus activities often look to the clubs that act as a source of inspiration. Active engagement and on-campus representation are the two ingredients to success — only if your club is already chartered. Numerous students at Baruch College apply to start a new student organization every year. However, only a handful make it through the full process of becoming a Baruch-chartered club. 

The process of starting a new club at Baruch is very tedious and lengthy. However, this five-step process ensures that the Baruch Undergraduate Student Government organizes and allocates funds to clubs accordingly. 

Without this precaution in place, a club with no ideas or initiatives set in place could be allocated money instantly. To charter a club, one must complete paperwork with an advisor in the Office of Student Life, as well as two presentations from the club’s executive board to the USG Chair of Clubs and Organizations. This standard is put in place to ensure that the club will have a strong foundation and room to grow. Students should not lose hope with the long approval process. 

For a club to retain members and attract future opportunities, it is important that it is inclusive and focused on team building efforts. Presenting a club in this light with consistency shows that its board members are dedicated, focused and understand how it can serve a greater purpose of building community. If one is looking to start a new club on campus, chances are that they have a niche interest that has not taken off yet, and should work toward building a space for members to communicate ideas during the club approval process. 

Even though the process of becoming a Baruch-chartered club is arduous, it is all worth it if students want their club vision to become a reality. Starting and running an organization is not easy. If students feel discouraged or overwhelmed by the process, they shouldn’t be. Good things come to those with effort.