My Lovely Mess intimately looks at complexities of NYC skate culture

Ana Duran | The TickerWilliam Strobeck first began filming skate videos at Love Park, located in Philadelphia, and then continued to collaborate with brands like Supreme and Thrasher.

The sound of skateboard wheels screeched as a group of skateboarders arrived at Milk Gallery to explore and experience William Strobeck’s first exhibit, My Lovely Mess.

Strobeck, skate culture icon and videographer who worked with legendary skate brands such as Supreme, opens his world up to visitors for the first and last time with this gallery. 

My Lovely Mess provides an inside look to Strobeck’s personal life through photography and objects as well as an invitation into his iconic bedroom that was originally located in the East Village.

The space is filled with various photos of his friends and family as well as video projections of some of Strobeck’s skateboarding videos, which he has directed and recorded.

These videos include Cherry, BLESSED, SEX KITTEN and CANDYLAND which were all for supreme. 

Mixed in with those videos were also clips of friends and family which gives a peek into his life.

Strobeck’s old tweets cover the glass walls in the gallery dating back to 2012. A photo collage of friends taken in Strobeck’s bedroom cover the outside area of the room installation. 

A striking photo of Chloë Sevigny is placed in the center. The photos captivate viewers to make them feel as if they were there while the photo was being taken.

The pièce de résistance of the exhibit is the replica of Strobeck’s bedroom. 

The railroad style entrance to the room was adorned with his personal belongings. 

His bedroom was meticulously perfected to be the exact measurements of his room along with the same moldings and wallpaper. 

The doors are decked with vintage graphic tees including a white-colored, witty one that says “If you don’t like my attitude, dial 1-800-eat-shit” to a classic faded-black Misfits tee. 

On the floor there’s a cluster of skate decks as well as stacks of magazines, coffee table books and old VHS tapes. The room feels like home. 

Strobeck’s gallery revolves around his room replication because his room is an epicenter of New York City skate culture. 

Many important figures have graced the well-known room. French-American model Camille Rowe, skateboarder of the year Tyshawn Jones and the late Dylan Rieder are a few of Strobeck’s friends who have had their photo taken in his bedroom. 

His bedroom symbolizes more than just a cool space with vintage prints and stacks of coveted skate decks; it is a mecca for those who aspire to be a professional skateboarder. 

Fanatics have reached out to him in hopes of getting a photo in his room. “There’s kids that DM me asking if they can come over. ‘My dream is to get a photo at your crib,’ type of shit. It’s so crazy to hear, because all that shit [on Instagram] is for fun,” said Strobeck in an interview with i-D magazine. 

My Lovely Mess is not only showcasing the work that Strobeck has created, it is so much more than that. 

Its main focus is not just skateboarding and the rich culture that it has. It is not about working with prominent skateboard brands such as Supreme and Fucking Awesome but rather about the connections within the community and being together. 

Whether it be projecting beautifully captured videos of skateboarders landing impossible tricks or taking photos of friends striking a pose in front of an amazing layout full of character, the exhibit is about being here together and playing a role in this lovely mess.

The exhibition has been extended by Milk Gallery and will be open until Dec. 1.