Timothée Chalamet is crowned as The King in Michôd’s take on Shakespeare

exc-5dd2e50fc1196f03e53da3a0
exc-5dd2e50fc1196f03e53da3a0

Historical period dramas tend to be one of those categories that can really bore a viewer or leave them in complete awe. 

In David Michôd’s newest film The King, based off of a combination of Henry IV Part I and II and Henry V by William Shakespeare, attempts to create a new space for period dramas that are not as heavy and traditional.

The King focuses on Prince Henry V’s sudden journey to become king of England after his father’s death. 

The audience gets a first-hand look at the collision between Prince Henry V, also referred to as Hal, and the unwanted journey he embarks on after the death of both his father and brother. 

Alongside his struggles in becoming the king of England, there is added pressure by those who believed he would fail as king due to his drunken past and pacifist views on war.

Timothée Chalamet’s portrayal of Hal was well done and he expressed all emotions clearly in a way that makes the audience understand why he is making the choices he does. 

It is without a doubt that Chalamet has become one of Hollywood’s most intriguing actors at the moment; he has a certain on screen charisma reminiscent of those such as Johnny Depp and Daniel Day Lewis. 

He is able to captivate viewers by not doing much at all. Just a simple look or stare and you instantly become transfixed in whatever role he is playing. 

The only issue with Chalamet’s portrayal is that his accent could have been executed better. At times, it seems as if his accent is completely absent which can throw viewers off. 

It seems as if playing a lead in some kind of period drama is a rite of passage for all young actors and Chalamet did a great job at filling the shoes he was given.

Joel Edgerton’s portrayal of Hal’s closest companion, Falstaff, was marvelous. His accent was impeccable and he was able to become the entity he was portraying. 

The charisma that radiated off of this character was refreshing seeing as some time period films can be quite heavy to watch. 

Falstaff is a crucial character and having Edgerton embody him showed how he can become very wise and serious but also be carefree and somewhat lighthearted.

Cinematography is one of film’s most crucial aspects and the star of this entire film. Australian cinematographer, Adam Arkapaw really brought color and fluidity to The King

The camera work made the film shine due to the specific panning’s as well as how the scenes were shot. 

The film is loaded with brilliant scenery that makes one feel as if they are living in 15th century England and watching King Henry V’s abrupt journey to the throne.

The King excelled in recreating these astonishing war fights, complete with swords, chainmail
and horses that were beautifully done. 

Seeing these actors learn to manage weapons and battle in armor really captivates the audience with their authenticity.

The King differs from many other historical periodic drama films due to its choice to not use Shakespearian language as well as its rejection of becoming a new adaptation of any previous film with the same topic. 

It is not as heavy as other periodic films which makes it pretty easy to digest and understand what is occurring, and why the characters chose to make the decisions that they did. 

The King is definitely a film to watch if you have a spare 2 hours and twenty minutes to kill.