TAP Expansion for non-degree students is a step forward

Steven+Debenport
Steven Debenport

New York Governor Kathy Hochul announced the launch of the Tuition Assistance Program expansion to cover hundreds of CUNY and SUNY non-degree programs. Hochul’s decision would offer many benefits as it would enhance accessibility to higher education for individuals who may not be pursuing a traditional degree path but still seek to acquire skills and knowledge.

Non-degree programs are slowly gaining momentum in a post-pandemic academic environment.  According to data compiled by a Strada-Gallup Education Survey, almost half of U.S. adults with a college degree also hold a certificate in a non-degree educational program.

TAP expansion is an acknowledgment of students’ evolving needs in the workforce. In today’s rapidly changing job market, continuous learning is essential for career growth and adaptability. Non-degree programs often offer specialized training in high-demand fields such as technology, healthcare and business, equipping students with high-demand skills directly applicable to their careers.

By investing in the education of non-degree-seeking students, CUNY can contribute to developing a more skilled and competitive workforce, which ultimately benefits the economy and society.

Expanding TAP eligibility can also help address equity and diversity gaps in higher education. Historically, specific demographics, including low-income individuals and minority groups, have faced barriers to accessing and completing degree programs.

By extending financial assistance to non-degree-seeking students, CUNY can reach a broader range of learners from diverse backgrounds, fostering inclusivity and promoting social mobility.

Another benefit to the expansion to include non-degree-seeking students is increased retention and completion rates.

Financial constraints often force students to balance work, family responsibilities and academics, which hinders their progress. By alleviating some of the financial burdens, TAP expansion can enable students to focus more on their studies and make meaningful progress toward their educational goals.

Expanding TAP to include non-degree seeking in CUNY and SUNY programs would promote accessibility, workforce development, equity and student success. It represents a proactive investment in the public education system and the prospects of a diverse range of learners, ultimately enriching individuals and society.