How to mix your unique style with current trends

Kevin Valdez | The Ticker
>
Dear Lily,

How do you incorporate current fashion trends into your wardrobe while still keeping the style you are comfortable with?

— Alex L.

Dear Alex,

So many people struggle to keep up with current fashion trends without losing their “fashion identity” or sacrificing their personality for the sake of trends. 

Everyone has their own style that is unique to them, but trends are things that everyone wants to get in on. So how do you compromise?

The answer may seem complicated at first but once you get the hang of it, it’ll be easy. First you need to figure out — if you haven’t already — what your personal style is. 

Do you find yourself always reaching for those “comfort items” like that shirt that has never failed you, those pants that make your butt look good no matter what and the shoes that you wear everywhere? 

You might have a simpler, more tried-and-true style. You may also have a more experimental style and are willing to try slightly edgier trends such layering chains. 

For example, if you have a personal style that is tried and true for you, such as wearing neutral colors, you may not be as open to trying some of the more eccentric trends, like super odd layering combinations of corsets over sweaters.

Safer trends like the mom jean, the dad sneaker, mules or barrettes might be more your style. 

These trends are much easier to style and are not so far-out that you will feel ridiculous wearing them. 

They’re quite simply tamer than some of the other trends that come out of Fashion Week these days. 

If you have a more experimental style and you don’t shy away from trying things that may look a little odd, fashionably ugly or bold, you are probably more open to trying trends such as head-to-toe prints, capes, enormous jackets and corset tops. 

These days, there is a place to shop for everyone no matter which style they prefer. 

Stores like Urban Outfitters tends to be the favorite of slightly more adventurous style personalities, while ones like Zara are perfect for those who care about being trendy but don’t want to stand out too much. 

That being said, there’s nothing wrong with being a little bit of both! I know I am. 

If you’re ever in need of immediate fashion advice, I’m always happy to help! 

Shoot me an email at asklily@theticker.org and I’ll give you my honest opinion to help you look your best.