Baruch Venture Capital Club rebrands, pushes for growth 

Baruch Venture Capital Club | LinkedIn

The Baruch Venture Capital Club started the semester with a rebranding on Sept. 29, changing the theme that came with its founding in spring 2023.

Its Instagram account displayed a new dark blue color compared to its former light blue theme, with a newly designed logo.

“We’re thrilled to bring you the Baruch Venture Capital Club, created with one goal in mind: to empower our fellow Bearcats with the knowledge and opportunities to break into the dynamic field of Venture Capital,” an Instagram post read.

The club was founded by president and senior entrepreneurship major Denny Gabriel and advisor, founder and finance major Jonathan Kovbasyuk in spring 2023. Other executive board members were selected to create a diversity of knowledge whilst acting as the foundation of the club.

The intention behind starting the Baruch Venture Capital Club was to share “connections, educational resources and the ability to grow,” according to Gabriel. He wanted to “foster an entrepreneurial spirit.”

“Venture capital is exclusive,” Gabriel told The Ticker, saying it’s a “very hard industry to break into.”

Venture capital is private equity financing for early-stage, emerging companies deemed to have high-growth potential, often giving a lifeline for startups to begin earning a profit. Venture capitalists figure out how to raise funds, research startups that need capital, serve as the middleman in deals and support the growth of startups.

Following the club’s initial branding, Gabriel felt the color scheme and overall marketing tactics did not represent the club exactly as he would have liked, calling it “more elementary.” Wanting to be on par with the other professional clubs at Baruch, such as The Investment Management Group, his team sought inspiration and planned their official launch for this fall.

The club’s actions have so far resulted in a 130-member group chat and a fall 2023 analyst class of 12 members.

Student analysts can join with regular membership by applying, followed by the in-house application form provided to all members at the beginning of each semester to rank up.

Positions will open up for president and executive vice president in the spring 2024 semester. Gabriel said he is looking for those with a strong passion for venture capital, at least the same amount of knowledge on the topic that the board members do and proper availability in the spring to take on the role. Venture capital experience is preferred.

Gabriel stressed that he hopes to ensure the club has a strong foundation so that it continues after he graduates.

Sid Balaga was a featured speaker at the club’s first session of its guest speaker series at the Field Center of Entrepreneurship on Oct. 17, which was preceded by an online sourcing and due diligence workshop on Oct. 12.