New York Fashion Week flaunts bold new styles and trends

Nahiar Nokshi | The Ticker

New York Fashion Week kicked off on Sept. 7, introducing the world to new trends that will dominate the industry in Spring/Summer 2024.

The biannual extravaganza featured more than 70 designers and attracted models, influencers, actors and musicians from across the globe. Some of the attendees this year included Lil Nas X, Charlize Theron, Gigi Hadid, A$AP Rocky, Hari Nef, Timothee Chalamet and Kylie Jenner.

Running until Sept. 13, the schedule featured several global fashion houses such as Ralph Lauren, Coach, Michael Kors and Concept Korea.

New York has been a fashion capital since Helmut Lang relocated to the city in 1998.  Although this move solidified New York’s prominence in the fashion world, the first NYFW was held in 1943 by fashion publicist Eleanor Lambert. She aided in setting up the Council of Fashion Designers of America, which increased interest in American fashion events.

By the time Fern Mallis took over as executive director of CFDA in 1993, more and more designers were interested in presenting their clothing in New York.

Designer Peter Do’s debut runway show for Lang was held on Sept. 8. Despite having a tenured presence in the fashion world, Lang has not had a creative director since 2014.

Do, a Fashion Institute of Technology graduate, had his work cut out. He was tasked with modernizing Lang’s minimalist designs of the 1990s. The designer accomplished this by creating an energetic collection paying homage to New York City and incorporating subway audio into the show, CNN reported.

Ralph Lauren returned to NYFW for the first time since 2019. His new collection was presented at Brooklyn Navy Yards and exuded everyday glamor with denim sets and metallic dresses.

Several stars made the trip to Brooklyn to see Ralph Lauren’s first show in four years including Jennifer Lopez, Ariana DeBose and Diane Keaton.

Some of the biggest trends for next season include sheer clothes with visible undergarments, corsets, matching sets, suits, low-waisted bottoms and elevated basics featuring a single pop of color.

NYFW does not only provide fashion inspiration, but it also sets trends within the beauty industry. This year, models were wearing shimmery eye shadow coupled with dark smudged eyeliner and a nude lipstick.

Christian Siriano debuted a ballet-inspired collection to celebrate its 15 years in fashion. Siriano’s muse, model Coco Rocha, danced down the runway while singer-songwriter Sia performed. Rocha wore a sheer black and purple gown made of tulle embellished with florals.

Siriano’s show was inspired by his sister who was a ballerina in her childhood. The runway featured leotard-like bodysuits, delicate fabrics with movement and colorful tights.

NYFW provides designers with a global stage. The spectacle attracts a wide audience every year, making it the place to co-opt for protests.

This year, two animal rights activists protested Coach. One protester joined the models on the runway with a sign reading “Coach: Leather Kills.”

Another protester attended a Coach Fashion Week dinner covered in body paint depicting human muscles. The protester had the same slogan painted across their chest and torso.

“Today’s conscientious consumers know that the future of fashion lies in innovative vegan materials, not in cows’ sliced-off skin,” People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals executive vice president Tracy Reiman said. “PETA is shaking up Coach’s catwalk to drive home the message that leather belongs in the annals of history, not in designers’ current collections.”

The controversial animal rights nonprofit raised concerns about designers using animal material for bags and clothing.

In recent years, climate activists have initiated conversations concerning the industry’s environmental impact. Reuters reported that the fashion industry is responsible for up to 8% of global carbon emissions.

However, some brands are aiming for more sustainable practices. Some brands, such as Eckhaus

Lotta, are experimenting with 3D weaving technology that reduces textile waste.