Netflix lets viewers “Choose Love” in new interactive film

Screenshot from Choose Love trailer | Netflix

Netflix has experimented with interactive content over the past few years with “Minecraft: Story Mode” and the Emmy-winning “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch,” which lets viewers decide how the episode unfolds.

“Bandersnatch” took Netflix’s interactive content to another level with its multiple endings and nerve-wracking decision-making. The company has since shifted to creating choose-your-own-adventure games but still occasionally releases interactive content.

So, it is no surprise that Netflix released “Choose Love,” their first interactive rom-com film, this year.

“Choose Love” features talented actors Laura Marano, Avan Jogia and Scott Michael Foster. It follows the main character Cami, played by Marano,  who is juggling three possible suitors: Her current boyfriend Paul, pop superstar Rex and her old high school boyfriend Jack.

There are a few contrasts between “Choose Love” and “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch.” Besides Avan Jogia’s English accent, the breaking of the fourth wall is the most prominent difference.

In “Choose Love”, Cami asks the viewer a question each time they are prompted to decide. Throughout the film, Cami talks directly to the viewer, which adds to the comedy and provides a sense of closeness with the character.

There may be a few downsides to Cami constantly addressing the viewer. When done too heavily, it can disrupt the story and divert the viewer’s attention. It also is reminiscent of TV shows for young children, such as “Dora the Explorer,” where Dora asks the viewer rhetorical questions about what is on the screen. For this reason, some audiences may not support this creative decision.

There are a few factors that make creating an interactive film difficult. Perhaps the most difficult choice, however, is knowing when to interact with the audience.

For instance, when Cami’s boss gives a new client to her co-worker instead of her, viewers have the option to tell off her boss or shrug it off. Either way, nothing of note comes out of it and she is still able to work with the new client, Rex.

This film has all the cheesy romance of a regular romantic comedy, the difference being that the viewer is actually able to choose who Cami ends up with.

While Cami has three possible men to choose from, only one seems to be the most logical choice.

Jack and Rex both have feelings for Cami, but their careers and aspirations don’t align with hers.

Paul, Cami’s current boyfriend, clearly loves and supports her and even plans to marry her. However, each ending is romantic in its own way because each man has their own swoonworthy qualities.

There is one particular scene that fans have found amusing. Cami shares a moment with Rex where she playfully swats his hand away from her soundboard and says, “don’t touch my board.”

This moment serves as a faint reference to her character Ally in the Disney Channel series,

“Austin & Ally,” where her catchphrase is “don’t touch my book.”

In “Choose Love,” viewers can avoid some frustrations that come with watching a rom-com by choosing the main character’s actions themselves. This way audiences only have themselves to blame for an unwanted ending.

After each ending the viewer is prompted to go back to another point in the film or start again from the beginning, which allows them to make different choices and explore the other possibilities.

“Choose Love” is a fun interactive experience that allows audiences to explore the ‘what-ifs’ of the main character’s love life.

View Comments (1)