Women’s tennis and volleyball, men’s soccer teams dominate early into their 2019 campaigns

Denis Gostev | The Ticker

The Baruch College women’s tennis team lost their matchup against the SUNY Farmingdale Rams by a score of 7-2 on Sept. 13. Hailey Feuer and Justina Camaj won a narrow contest by a score 8-7, 8-6. Feuer also won her first singles match to give Baruch their only wins of the day. 

The Bearcats then swept Yeshiva University nine matches to zero. Feuer won 12 straight sets, while Regina Kelley went 12-2 on the day, and won her doubles match 8-2.

The Bearcats won their second straight match on Sept. 17 against SUNY Purchase by a score of 7-2. The Bearcats swept Purchase in all of their doubles matches, while winning four of six singles. 

Hailey Feuer was voted the CUNYAC Player of the Week, after winning both of her singles matches, one in an impressive shutout — 6-0 — and another in a lopsided exhibition — 6-1 —. Feuer then paired with captain Lejla Redzematovic to win their doubles match 8-5. 

The CUNYAC Rookie of the Week, Regina Kelley, also won both of her singles matches — 6-4, 6-0 — and teamed up with Victoria Kisling to dominate their doubles matchup, winning 8-1. The team visits the Lehman College Lightning on Sept. 21, to open their CUNYAC Conference Tournament. 

On Sept. 12, the Bearcats’ volleyball team beat the Pioneers of William Patterson University. The Bearcats lost a very poorly played first set, losing 25-12. However, they bounced back to win the second and third set. In the fourth set, the Pioneers forced a tiebreaker, winning 25-22. 

In the decider, the Bearcats won 17-15 to improve to 4-1 on the season. Anita Sengara totaled 26 kills, while Yijia Cai added in 13. Sanaa Hadjeb improved on her impressive 31 assists, totaling 40 in the matchup against the Pioneers. Six different Bearcats had at least 11 digs during the match. 

On Sept. 14, the Baruch women’s volleyball Bearcats recorded a pair of wins against John Jay and CCNY. Despite losing a tightly contested first set by a score of 25-22, the Bearcats swept the next three consecutive sets. The first, a convincing win 25-13, the second, a close 25-18 and the final, an impressive 25-10. Throughout both matchups, captain Stella Chung recorded 21 digs, and a season-high 14 kills. Claudia Moi recorded a personal season-high 26 kills, the most of any Bearcat on Saturday. 

Outside hitter Sengara, standing at 5’11”, totaled a robust 34 kills and 2 blocks, scoring 36 points on the day. In the second matchup, the Bearcats swept CCNY — 25-15, 25-19, 25-15.  The 6-1 Bearcats then take on Manhattanville College at ARC Arena on Sept. 19.

On Sept. 11, the Baruch men’s soccer Bearcats faced the SUNY Farmingdale Rams on the road. The matchup was hard fought by both sides, and Adonis Martinez took advantage of an early attack, assisting midfielder Frank Iacovano in the second minute. 

The matchup then went scoreless until Shaiem Allah Morad converted another chance created by Martinez, putting away the Rams. Interestingly enough, the Rams outshot the Bearcats by a margin of 14-7. 

Goalkeeper Kellen Sela, was the star of the match, totaling seven saves and recording his first clean sheet of the 2019 season. 

On Sept. 14, the Bearcats played New York University at Manhattan College. After an NYU freekick put the Violets up 1-0 in the 11th minute, defender Michael Grald scored off a corner, assisted by Martinez. Despite an overtime period, the match ended in a 1-1 draw.