Senate Meeting: USG approves new club formations and budgets for clubs

Marziya Hasan, Copy Editor

Baruch College’s Undergraduate Student Government met for its 10th senate meeting of the Spring 2023 semester on April 25.

The meeting began with USG motioning to charter new clubs. The first club, Operations Management Club, presented itself to the table members.

The club president and vice president, alongside other members, shared that the club will be used to advance students’ knowledge on the field through panel and alumni events along with general interest meetings.

The club has held an alumni event in February, a panel event with guests from different areas of management and a general interest meeting to share what it could provide for students and what they strive to be in the future.

With 17 people at the alumni event, 30 in the general interest meeting and 35 in the panel event, the club hopes to increase membership to continue hosting events and increase engagement on social media.

The motion to charter OMC as a club passed 17-0-0.

Next, The Baruch Times presented their club.

They shared that as a newsletter, they’ve utilized social media platforms such as Instagram, Reddit and LinkedIn alongside their website to keep the student body up to date on events, internship opportunities and discounts.

When asked how they gathered information about club events, they shared that either two club representatives can join their WhatsApp group chat or submit their event through their website.

The motion passed 16-0-1.

USG Chair of Philanthropy and University Student Senate Representative Delegate Joseph Hernandez had a report.

Gov. Kathy Hochul proposed a $270 million budget for CUNY.

In regards to tuition hikes, she proposed implementing hikes only on out-of-state tuition.

The vice chair for senior colleges pushed the administration to recognize Eid al-Fitr as an official holiday.

President Laiba Hussain said that the referenda proposing a multifaith center at Baruch didn’t pass, sharing that there was a short time limit to achieve their goal.

The petition needed 10% of the student body’s signatures and was short by a couple hundred.

Chair of Finance Asher Gonzalez presented the last group of budget proposals.

The Bangladesh Student Association proposed a budget of $8,695.

He presented an allocated budget of $8,695 because the club’s attendance grew and it utilized its budget well.

The motion passed 16-0-0.

ASCEND Baruch proposed a budget of $10,000.

The allocated budget of $10,000 passed 16-0-0.

Lastly, Executive Vice President Osvaldo Garcia reminded members about Bash.

The formal event was scheduled to take place Friday, April 28.

The event is taking place at Somewhere Nowhere from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. USG provided food and music during the event.

Tickets cost $15.