Invest in zest, students stun USG with club life

Special to the Ticker
Special to the Ticker

As Baruch College was planning for Convocation Day, we wondered how the school would handle adding more than 2,200 new students. Our existing infrastructure issues coupled with unhelpful budget cuts weren’t exactly the best combination. 

However, the newest students have brought something back to the soul of Baruch College — zest. We have seen an unprecedented increase in engagement not only within USG, but in club life as well.

As I walked to different clubs’ general interest meetings, I saw rooms overflowing with incredibly enthusiastic students ready to participate in ice breakers. 

It filled my heart with joy to see club life thriving. 

Many people worried that student engagement was decreasing, but we have settled any future qualms about that. 

There is also praise to be said for the boards of many clubs, which have done a wonderful job marketing and inviting students to join them in their quest to make a family at Baruch.

While we sit in our offices doing work, there are  always students coming in to find out how to join student government. It’s one of the most fulfilling parts of our jobs, as we hand them a survival guide and tell them about all the ways they can join. Each student that we see has this spark in their eye — the zest is uncontainable. We see these students show up to our senate meetings and participate. 

On Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. in room 3-270, they are fulfilling their civic duties on the most local level. 

This week, we will be giving you the opportunity to fulfill your civic duties on a federal level as well. If you’re not already registered to vote, stop by on the second floor atrium during club hours. It takes two minutes to register and then you will have the ability to be present in the future of your community and country. 

Any questions that you have about the process, we’re here to answer them. This, however, is just the beginning of your path. Your next step is to vote. Elections in 2020 are just around the corner, so speak out and be loud. Make your voice heard from a poll booth all the way to Washington, D.C.

You don’t need me to tell you that Baruch is a non-traditional school. The commuter culture is something some students end up succumbing to as they fall into a routine. The monotony is easy to settle into, but I have faith that you will find your passion and stay zesty.

Dakshatha Daggala is the president of USG. She can be reached at dakshatha.daggala@usgbaruch.com. Her office is located at 3-272 in the Newman Vertical Campus.