Former Baruch bookstore reopens with temporary seating for students

Adriana Maria, Opinions Editor

The space that previously housed the Baruch College Bookstore opened to students with temporary seating options. It is open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday. The former space was closed after the bookstore permanently moved online.

In an exclusive interview with The Ticker, Baruch President S. David Wu discussed that his administration’s priority was to transform it into a multipurpose space.

In a letter to the Baruch community, President S. David Wu discussed his long-term vision for the space.

“The pop-up space is temporary, as the College embarks on a comprehensive project to convert the bookstore space into a Student Success Center—including the permanent home of the Baruch One Stop Shop (the BOSS), student services offices, student workstations, as well as a new lounge space for students to study, read, socialize, and engage,” Wu said.

While construction on the former bookstore space is expected to finish in 2024 the temporary seating is available for students now.

Students reported not knowing that the former bookstore reopened and was available for use.

“No, I haven’t taken advantage of the bookstore seating area,” Mercy Colon, a student majoring in English, said. “Honestly, I did not know that we could sit in there. I thought it was a closed-off space.”

Ilsa Lareb, a computer information system major, said the space is much needed.

“Sometimes Baruch is very crowded,” Lareb said. “Finding a quiet new place to focus is truly a gem amidst the chaos and hustle of Baruch’s urban commuter-friendly campus.”

Lareb thought that the former bookstore should be converted into a permanent student lounge or second cafeteria.

She also added that the space should have new couches and include built-in charging ports for students.

Colon said he thought the seating options available are not enough to accommodate the school’s growing population.

He suggested adding more places for students to sit and do their work.

“I feel like seats get filled up very quickly, especially during the later hours of the day,” he said

Tahmeed Razeen, an accounting major, said he has witnessed the effects of lack of seating.

“Many times, you’ll see students spend time together on the staircases or in the hallways,” they explained. “The extra seating space can be used for them,”

With the finals season just a few weeks away, students thought it would be the most helpful if the seating area remained permanently open, serving as some sort of lounge.

Shania Persaud, a biology student, said she plans to use the new seating area soon and would like to see the space used as an event or activities area like the second floor in the William and Anita Newman Vertical Campus.

Xin Tan, a first-year student, said they were glad to hear that Baruch is acknowledging the lack of seating areas and that a small food court would be the best use of the space.

Many students raised the idea that there should be some events hosted in the bookstore area that could provide free food.

Nathalie Bisono, journalism major, said she hopes a lounge space is prioritized.

“There are enough study rooms already and the former bookstore is right next to the entrance where there is usually a lot of noise and it can distract everyone,” she said.