The New York Times gives Baruch No. 1 ranking

Nicole Bryk, News Editor

Baruch College was ranked No.1 by The New York Times Interactive Tool that considered affordability, academics, diversity and high post-attendance earnings.

Several CUNY colleges landed top 10 spots, including Hunter College, Brooklyn College, City College, Queens College and John Jay College.

The New York Times “Build Your Own College Rankings” tool aims to help students begin their college search.

The tool allows students to filter colleges based on their priorities and gives them a list of the top 25 schools that are most suited to their tastes.

Tuition, room, board and required fees are now over $80,000 per year at private universities.

Therefore, many students doubt the utility and security of a college degree.

The New York Times ranking system’s consideration of affordability reflects a trend toward an emphasis on post-graduation debt that might dictate students’ job decisions.

The tool enables students to filter the colleges based on traits including how high the earnings are for students after graduation and low sticker price.

It also considered social life, racial diversity, economic diversity, economic mobility, low net price which is the price of the college for students after financial aid and grants, athletics and campus safety.

The ranking also considered academic profile, which includes the graduation rates SAT scores, and ranking of the schools’ student body.

In order to create the “Build Your Own College Rankings” filtering system, The New York Times and Morning Consult surveyed 2,000 people between the ages of 16 and 19, and 2,000 people between the ages of 22 and 30.

The survey found that out of all the traits that were listed, affordability of tuition and their likely earnings after graduation were the most important factors in determining which colleges students are more likely to apply to.

Based on the combination of low net price and earnings 10 years after attendance, Baruch ranks first among public colleges and fourth overall in the nation.

Assemblymember Patricia Fahy, chairperson of the Assembly Committee on Higher Education about the CUNY system, said she was happy to see CUNY schools get recognition.

She said she was proud of the longstanding work CUNY has put into making education attainable to all students. She said CUNY’s affordability has enabled many students to receive an education and given them an avenue to social mobility after graduating.

“When students pursue their dream of higher education and attaining a degree, they expect it to better their lives, expand access to professional opportunities, and lift their incomes,” Fahy said. “CUNY has proven once again that it is a great equalizer, catapulting students from all backgrounds into careers and fields of their dreams regardless of background post-graduation.”