USG hosts ‘Earth Day’ event, ‘Abled-Differently‘ panel 

Courtesy of Osvaldo Garcia

Osvaldo Garcia

Welcome back Bearcats. The Undergraduate Student Government hopes that all students managed to unwind and spend quality time with friends and family over spring break. 

USG has plenty of incredible events, panels and initiatives planned for the remainder of the semester. 

The ChaosSerenity event, spearheaded by Chair of Arts Andrea Zhao, occurred on April 18 from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room. 

ChaosSerenity is an annual USG tradition that entails numerous activities occurring simultaneously throughout the event that are categorized as either “chaos” or “serene.”

The Climate Petition and Chalking event occurred April 19, just three days before Earth Day, from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the Clivner=Field Plaza. 

USG is making a statement on climate change through collective chalk art, petitioning and fundraising through student organization. 

Students were invited to draw on the plaza with chalk and sign a petition demanding that Baruch College implement more sustainability initiatives throughout campus. 

After signing, students received a free Insomnia cookie and continued chalk drawing on the plaza. 

The Abled-Differently in the Workplace panel also occurred on April 20 from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room.

The event was spearheaded by Rep. Sen. Spirit Smith-Matos and spotlighted the abled-different community on campus as well as different career pathways available to members of this community. 

The list of guest speakers included Shane Anglade, a Senior Financial Analyst at Paramount, Christopher Hall, a Finance Contracts Specialist at Boeing, and Rich Donovan, a CEO of the Return on Disability Group. 

Students that do not identify as part of the abled-different community were encouraged to attend the event and learn about their peers’ experiences. 

USG is also fundraising for the Ivan Montiel Scholarship for Climate Action.

Ivan Montiel, former professor of business sustainability at Baruch, was a major advocate for a more sustainable Baruch and New York City. 

The scholarship will be awarded to a Baruch student with an interest in climate change and action, covering the cost of attendance at Baruch, including tuition, fees, textbooks and transportation. 

Additionally, students will be able to enter a raffle to win sustainability merchandise. Proceeds from the snacks purchased will be put toward funding the scholarship. 

Lastly, USG is bringing back Bash, one of Baruch’s oldest traditions. 

Save the date for April 28 from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. at Somewhere Nowhere, a venue in Midtown West. There will be incredible food, views and music by USG’s own DJ Tyler.

More information on tickets will be made available soon.