Free menstrual products now provided in bathrooms

Emanuela Gallo, Editor-in-Chief

Thirty-nine women’s bathrooms at Baruch College were recently stocked with free menstrual products.

There are 19 dispensers in the William and Anita Newman Vertical Campus. The dispensers are located in the bathrooms on the student side of the building.

Twelve dispensers are in the Lawrence and Eris Field Building, commonly known as 17 Lex. Five were put in the Informational and Technology building, and three dispensers are in the Allen G. and Mary E. Aaronson Student Center.

“This implementation of free female products on campus is the definition of baby steps,” senior Avassa Arjune said. “These are the kind of changes we want to see in our community. As a current student at Baruch College, I must say I am proud.”

CUNY supplied Baruch with a total of 44 dispensers, according to Lawrence Manganello, assistant vice president of campus facilities and operations. The office is holding onto five in case any of the others get damaged.

The feminine hygiene products offered are pads and tampons.

Previously, bathrooms had dispensaries that required a quarter, and the machines were often broken or not stocked.

Students had access to menstrual products at the Health Center or the Office of Health and Wellness, but the office is only open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Mondays to Thursdays.

Several students told The Ticker that the addition of free menstrual products in the bathrooms will help low-income and commuter students.

“Free period products make a difference,” Evelyn Lamburt, a sophomore mathematics major, said.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill on Oct. 8, 2021 which made it mandatory for California public schools and colleges to provide free menstrual products in bathrooms. At the time, the bill reignited calls for CUNY to do the same.

Muskaan Kapoor, a first-year finance major, said they were glad to see the change to free menstrual products take effect.

“Access to these supplies is so much appreciated and needed,” Kapoor said.