Senate Meeting: USG passes last club budgets

USG | Baruch College

USG | Baruch College

Marziya Hasan 

Baruch College’s Undergraduate Student Government met for its sixth senate meeting of the spring 2023 semester on March 14.

The meeting began with a continuation of the club budget proposals presented by Chair of Finance Asher Gonzalez for the 2023-2024 term.

Beta Alpha Psi proposed a budget of $6,382.29. An amended budget of $6,582.89 was presented. The budget passed 18-0-0.

Next, Vice President of Academic Affairs Jason Galak had a report. He began by thanking everyone for attending the Baruch student and faculty basketball game on March 9. He shared that over 400 people attended the event.

He also gave shoutouts to fellow members for attending and assisting with the event.

Chair of Philanthropy Joseph Hernandez also had a report.

He shared that as a University Student Senate member, he attended the 2023 SOMOS Albany Conference. During the conference, Hernandez said he connected with Latino professionals and held conversations around the Latino community and Latinos in politics, among other topics.

CUNY Chancellor Félix Matos Rodríguez and SUNY Chancellor John King attended the CUNY and SUNY luncheon. Hernandez was able to speak with officials present and shared that some were not up to date on current issues at Baruch, including funding.

He also shared that a rally will be taking place to address many of these issues. The march, sponsored by USS, will address tuition hikes and advocate for no tuition, free additional mental health services for students and to increase diversity of staff and faculty.

It will take place March 19 from noon to 3 p.m. at Brooklyn Borough Hall on 209 Joralemon St.

Lastly, he gave a shout out to 50Five Capital, UNICEF at Baruch and WBMB 94.3, along with Chair of Graphics Anya Ballantyne and Chair of Marketing Adelaide Ilyasov, for assisting with the Turkey/Syria Disaster Relief Fundraiser.

They raised a total of $1,891.70.