New funding for diversity training should be handled wisely

Eric Haynes | GIWPS

The Editorial Board

CUNY announced that $750,000 will be allocated for programming that seeks to stop instances of religious, racial and ethnic bigotry from occurring on CUNY campuses. 

CUNY will be working with the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York and partnering with Hillel International’s Campus Climate Initiative to address rising global antisemitism.

University funding will also go towards implementing “campus conversations around historical and recent trends of discrimination.”

To receive funds, colleges had to submit proposals showcasing their strategic responses to addressing and combating racism and other forms of discrimination. Colleges are planning to hold workshops, training sessions, student retreats and many other events. 

Baruch College’s plan includes enhancing pre-existing diversity, equity and inclusion training. Baruch also plans on organizing focus groups and facilitating discussions and conversations around these topics. 

The CUNY School of Law will hold student-centered events that will cover discussions around anti-Asian hate, antisemitism and LGBTQIA+ hate in NYC and how to confront it. 

It is currently unclear who will be the voice and leader of Baruch’s focus group discussions. Baruch should model its events after those of the CUNY School of Law so that the voices of marginalized students are intentionally elevated.

CUNY is the largest urban university, boasting a student body that is diverse in terms of ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds. Thus, it is important for necessary steps to be taken for students to feel safe and seen.  

CUNY’s recent online portal for students and staff to report discrimination, along with this funding, are certainly a step in the right direction toward ensuring that CUNY can create a community that is welcoming to its population.