Field Center seeks submissions for second annual mural contest

Parvesh Rudher

Baruch College’s Lawrence N. Field Center for Entrepreneurship will accept entries for its second annual “Essence of Entrepreneurship” mural design competition until March 13.

The competition was designed to promote the spirit of entrepreneurship within Baruch through art. The center hopes to foster the spirit of creativity among students.

Field Center Executive Director Marlene Leekang said the center launched the competition to assist students in developing an entrepreneurial mindset as well as to serve as a creative outlet for students to express their ideas, adding that “the entrepreneurial mindset is an invaluable asset.”

“This mural can spread our message of creating an entrepreneurial mindset in all students for them to grow in life, whether they pursue their own business or begin careers joining an organization,” Leekang said.

To be considered for the competition, each entry must be a unique piece of artwork. At the reveal of the winning mural of the first competition, Leekang told The Ticker that future entrants should not “feel limited” with their design.

The competition is open to both undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled at Baruch. Entries may be submitted by individuals or teams, with no limit on the number of students per team.

For a submission from an individual student, the prize money is $1,000. For a submission from a team of students, the prize money  is $2,000.

However, if the winning submission comes from a team composed of students from multiple schools — including the Zicklin School of Business, the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences and the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs — the prize money will increase to $2,500.

After the design submission deadline, students will vote on their favorite design using a link provided by the Field Center.

The winner will be determined by the faculty and staff of the Field Center, using feedback from the students’ submissions. The winning design will be installed in the center, which is located in room 2-140 of the William and Anita Newman Vertical Campus.

The mural will be displayed for one year until it is replaced in the next year’s competition. As a result, the inaugural mural designed by then-juniors Tiffany Wu and Calvin Zhang will come down to make room for the new artwork.

Furthermore, the reveal will take place on May 9, coinciding with Baruch’s Creative Inquiry Week. Beside from the winning design, all other entries will be on display in the Field Center as well during the unveiling.

The competition is an opportunity for students to express their creativity and to learn more about entrepreneurship. It is also a chance for students to gain recognition for their work and to be rewarded for their efforts.

As a piece of advice for entrants this year, Wu said “be proud of what you create,” during last year’s unveiling. She added that students “have the opportunity to inspire every person who sees it.”

Editor’s Note: Pavesh Rudher, who wrote this article, works part time at the Lawrence N. Field Center for Entrepreneurship as a data analyst.